Thursday 24 June 2010

Ready to Start

I've just listened to the new Arcade Fire EP or Single or a pre-album or whatever you may call it for the first time. I believe it is called The Suburbs, the songs are: The Suburbs, Month of May, Ready to Start (hence the title of this post) and We Used to Wait.

My first thought was: True AF but not really. Sounds kind of wierd but there it is. Wierd is the oppinion, not the music. Well, just wierd enough. And now I'm babbling.

I loved Ready to Start and I've already posted these words on my FB wall (as I am one to do):

"If I was scared, I would
And if I was bored, you know I would
And if I was yours, but I'm not..."

Right after posting this I realised it would cause some raised eyebrows and trigger a chain of worried comments since I have a boyfriend, but nothing yet. I'm not holding my breth.

So, back to the music... Before I get into it, I'd just like to say that I've only listened to it once and my oppinion may change.
It's not as epic and pompous as I remember AF to be. It's much more playful, lighter and more "la-di-da", but it's still tipical AF off-beat, cool hippy music. Win Butler's voice makes it more AF than anything else. Without him the music would be very different. Just wrong.
The moment that Month of May began to play, I was convinced that I had my winamp player set on random. The song begins as a punk-biker's hymn would. "Wierd", I thought as the lyrics at one point say: "In the month of May, everybody sing love." But what do I know. I haven't had time to read, understand and interpret the lyrics yet.

I used to really love AF but I kind of lost track of what they were doing, as I often do. The same thing happened with me and Interpol (at this moment, I'm brushing up on their discography).
I've been "preparing" for the Bilbao festival that begins in about a week and a half and I've had Pearl Jam, Skunk Anansie and mostly Faith No More in my ears the whole time. A friend, who is kind of an alarm clock and calendar for music and concerts, kept nagging me to get back into AF and Interpole since they both had some new stuff out recently. Tonight I decided to take him up on his nagging and I am NOT sorry!
And here's the thing. This is why I love music so much and can never get enough of it, ever. I listen to something new (or old-new as odds would have it) and I get swept away. And I keep getting swept away each time I listen to the same thing and find something new to inspire me.

I guess this is not a bad first post. I've written about music I listen to, about my future plans and about how I feel about music. This blog will also feature some other aspects of my life that are in any way affected by what I listen to or, well, don't. There is not a lot I don't or won't listen to at least once and I have an opinion on everything.

Expect concert and album reviews, my own jammering about music, useful tips on jogging, sometimes even cooking but it's all mostly music. If you have something to say, don't hesitate or hold back. I'll try to keep my answers and posts as up-to-date as I possibly can.

As I've said in the description, I'm writing in English because sometimes it's easier to get it out when words get stuck in your mouth. I wonder who said that... I guess it's my quote now. I can, however, quote an Ani Difranco song: "I can't shut it now 'cause there's something in it."

P.S.: I'm just discovering how much I've missed Interpol and that they're the perfect jogging music. You get so into it that you forget you are actually torturing your knees and spitting out your lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment